Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Call of the Wild

This is a guy in the German parade on my street two weekends ago. I have no idea what he was supposed to be.

I don't know who all reads this, so if you're under 18 (mentally or chronologically) you might not want to read any further. Wait like four days and maybe I'll have posted something more annoyingly mundane, as is usual.

Right now I am sitting on my couch ignoring my bored dog and counting time. My dog somehow found (this is gross, I warned you!!!) a used condom behind? attached to? under? my bed when I was moving stuff around, and I was thinking about the ridiculous length of time that thing has probably been there, and how the newest it could possibly be is like nine months old. (And yes, I do clean once in a while.) And that realization bummed me out.

Then I started counting the time it's been between now and my last meeting with MBC (Mr. Booty Call) and how many days until gets back into town (four). And that's interesting. Because I don't really like MBC. I don't miss him, per se, but I do want to be sure I clear the calendar for one evening next week. (Is that bad?) Honestly, I don't even know if I think MBC is cute. But, um - he gets the job done.


The guy was with this group in the parade. Again, I have no idea what they were trying to be. German fighters in the Revolutionary War? Oh, and in general, the parade was GREAT!


So here's the thing: I got into this arrangement with MBC for two reasons: 1) all the working out from the triathlon or maybe the summer heat or maybe the time since my last regular partner made me incredibly horny - and yet with training and the job from hell I didn't have time to cultivate anything real, and 2) though I am in truth looking for something real and long-term and romantic, my damn libido has, in the recent past (ahem, WX) allowed me to make intellectually and emotionally irrational and idiotic choices with regard to companions, and I thought that taking the damn libido out of the picture would stem that tide and allow me to more freely look for a better match, an actual friend first, a social/psychological/intellectual equal, who shows good judgment and, of course, excellent regard for me - without sleeping with him.

Good theory, right?

Well, the MBC situation has had its good points. I mean, a) it's fun. b) we've only met a handful of times, so it's still exciting, and never in my home, which is sorta of mysterious and discreet, like a little vacation (thus you can understand the extra shock when Lois brought me her lovely treasure this evening - it's definitely an oldie), and c) he lives closeby, and d) he is a good kisser (and is into that even without the romance that kissing usually connotes).



From Labor Day in Illinois near the Iowa town where my parents live, along the Mississippi River. It's still flooded all throughout that area - totally wiped out all crops and much livestock and so many homes. I wonder what last weekend's rain did? This pic is about five miles from the river, too. Yikes.


The bad thing is: I'm fundamentally lazy. Though he is "up for it" (ha ha) more often than I think I am, and it's still not that often, yet - in all reality - it's just enough to make me, well - give up on anything else. Maybe I haven't given it enough time. And it's true that I haven't been out much since mid-August - to meet anyone else - but really, I don't even look at guys the same way. I just don't care...I have my cake. I might not eat it too, but I do have it. You know?

Tonight just for fun I did my thing of talking to a stranger guy and instead of being challenging it was just - lame. It was easy and I wasn't nervous/excited at all. He told me where he got this thingie on his bike, and he was even cute! - but I just - I dunno. I think this MBC thing is not exactly making me enthusiastic about meeting men. If anything it's taking the edge off - but not necessarily in a good way.

You know?

Thoughts?

P.S. to Von - it's a rehash without the Spaten - forgive me!

9 comments:

Vonnie said...

No worries! It's still a good topic, and I'm glad you're writing about it. I say no harm no foul - I might even follow in your forward thinking footsteps and find me a MBC of my own. Good for you, you're doing your own thing.

Churlita said...

As you know, I've had that with a guy who lives out of town and I only saw one weekend a month. That seemed to work, because it wasn't enough to get lazy about. the drag about it is that when the guy came to town he expected me to drop everything to be with him. Which, if I was in a relationship, I would. When we're just messing around? It got kind of annoying. Especially that time he called me and said he was coming the next day and then canceled by text.

He just drunk texted me a bunch last night and wants to see me next weekend. I was totally noncommital, because I'm not sure if I want to hang or not. He's very physically attractive, he's just a little too self-absorbed for me.

I guess that probably didn't help, did it? I guess if it feels like more trouble than it's worth, drop him.

Poptart said...

V: I am doing my own thing, yes, but is it ultimately what I want? No.

C: take him up on it if you feel like it. Set your own rules and boundaries and have fun (if it will be fun)! Physically attractive is a good bonus!

Anonymous said...

Living in Chicago and can't find a great guy?

You are either looking in the wrong places or raise your standards. Why would anyone with any self-respect settle for a BC?

Poptart said...

Dear Anon,

Yes, I am living in Chicago and can't find a great guy.

So to answer your second question, because I actually *have* self-respect, in that I respect my healthy desire for sex, I have a nice friend with benefits situation.

Do you, Mr. or Ms. Anon, think it's better to just be celibate if one is single? Because...yikes.

And since you seem to be an expert, where should I be looking for a great guy, anon?

Anonymous said...

Wow. Anon seems to have quite the opinion. Seriously, anon. WTF?

Churlita said...

Once again, it's so annoying when people leave judgemental anonymous comments. No one ever questions a guy's self-respect when he has a booty call situation. Why is it an issue of self-esteem when women find a convenient sex solution?

Anonymous said...

OK, I guess I opened the door. Perhaps I am a bit from old school. A man or woman should not sleep around purely for the pleasure of satisfying a need. Two days later, what do you women have? A used condom and you still have a need. Correct? WTF!! Get out there and find a person. I know the poptart was at one time the Queen of Chicago Summerdance. Yea SD, you had your chances. I think the best of relationships just happen, you can't force them. There are a lot of good men out there that still want a monogamous relationship. Who wants to buy used stuff? You women can't tell me you are actually proud of throwing your legs on the shoulders of men you didn't even know? Yuck!! Call pest control!!

SD you are a babe and maybe you just have to "step outside the box". Give situations an opportunity that you may have ignored in the past.

Churlita - Go buy yourself a clue

Good Luck and God Bless

Churlita said...

Anon,

Are you in your 70's? Because you sound like you would be totally happy living in the 1950's with your virgin/whore complex. I know you're trying to shame us, but luckily, we were born too late to have to live by some weird Puritanical mores.

If stepping outside the box, means stepping into your world, I'd rather be single forever.

Also, anonymous stalking is creepy and SO not attractive.