Saturday, June 16, 2007

Pics galore, again

It's been busy at Poptart HQ. Well, sorta:

First there is the jogging, which still hurts, my groin (esp. left) flares up after about a mile and a half/15 minutes and I absolutely can't go further without a ton of pain... but I am stretching, and trying, and we'll see. Maybe it'll just not hurt one of these times.



I ate lunch with E on Friday at Los Nopales and had a great catchup with him about all things over delicious fish tacos.



The owners' youngest son played with us a bit, which was fun. Must be sorta satisfying to grow up in a restaurant - you'd always have attention.

Friday night was a great night of foiled plans... I was going to go (alone) to Summerdance and attend the first free swing dance lesson of the summer - one of my summer goals is to learn to dance partner dances - and I rode my bike furiously for about 25 minutes only to realize I should have left an hour earlier to make it all the way down there by 6, so instead I went shopping (it was payday; I needed a running bra) and tried on a bunch of clothes I don't really want or need. Funny how that starts out as fun but then you always end up feeling fat and broke...I did purchase the necessary undergarment, though, in a lovely blue.



Then Lois and I walked over to the School, where we hung out in the courtyard, and ran into T, and J and Y. T and I hooped for a while.



I went inside to watch the Flat Five's second show - they were opening up for Leslie Gore. Their set, even without drums, was fabulous. They did a rendition of "Sundays Will Never Be the Same," which brought the house down. Then Scott (far left; Poptart and Lois's ex-roommate) sang a version of Leslie Gore's "Treat Me Like a Lady," which rocked. It's amazing that the best musicians are the ones right around the corner who don't even get heard by the masses, who would be blown away.



The next day I went on the painful fun run and then drove through heinous traffic on the Dan Ryan to get to Pullman, this great neighborhood on the far south side and had sort of a walking tour of it with a really kind and and interesting guy I met on the internet who is an artist who lives and has a studio in a home there that he restored. If I didn't want to be rude, I would have taken hundreds of photos a) throughout his home/studio, and b) of every single thing I saw in Pullman. It was so magically gorgeous there. I might have to sneak back there and do a photo essay. Seriously. It was beautiful in every eyefull.



I did pull out the camera when we ran into these two women, Towanda and Betty, who had just opened up a church in the upper floor of this semi-restored stable/now an auto shop (note the little horses) and were passing out flyers. They kept talking about the Lord's work and their new worship space and we jumped at the chance when they offered to take us upstairs to see it.



Wow. Purple.



I raced back to the north side to the great space/studio, Galaxie, where I did a hooping workshop for two hours. It was awesome. I have to practice, and soon I will be doing tricks.

Then I went home, walked pooch, bought some Father's Day cards that will be at least a week late, and spent the evening reading and surfing the 'net. Instead of cleaning.

2 comments:

Churlita said...

I missed this post yesterday. it was awesome.

conceptual art / handyman said...

Stop by pullman anytime and don't be so polite (metra train is better than dan ryan).