Wednesday, July 02, 2008

My slow heart

See the bump on the horizon with the tiny triathletes on top? That's Chicago's only real hill. And I swear, it's steeper than you think.

We did a running practice last night on the only hill in Chicago, pictured above. It's appropriately called "Cricket Hill," and it's in the park by Montrose Harbor, on the lakefront. Lots of people recreate there, which is nice.

We ran superfast up the hill and then down, too, then waited for our heart rates to recover, and then kept doing it 8-10 times. We also did funny drills to improve our form - the quickstep, high knee, grapevine, and butt-kicker. It's really fun/funny to train with other people; I tell people it's like having adult gym class.

But, my heart rate is really slow in recovering (like the slowest of anyone in the group, for running), which means I'm not in very good shape. I talked to my coach about it and thought I should add some more running, or something, into my training, but she said no, just "trust the program." I am worried.

Too ugly to spend $150 on?

Now, I am in triathlon wetsuit buying mode, and found this one on ebay for about $100 cheaper than other brands. It's truly ugly, but should I get it anyway? I can't decide.

I have my life's work cut out for me. This is my storage space - and while half of these boxes are full of winter clothing and blankets and play props and such - normal storage stuff - the other half are full of random papers because I have a major problemo with those.

Also, I spent 3 hours Monday searching for my car title, and found instead my social security card, an uncashed $250 check from 2004, and LOTS of memorabilia. Plus, I did find a copy of the car title. I have about 6 more boxes of papers to sort through...so this weekend will be interesting.

2 comments:

Churlita said...

I think if it's the cheapest suit you can find and it works, who cares what it looks like?

Good luck on going through your papers. I have that same problem and trying to go through everything makes my head hurt.

Poptart said...

the thing is, I'm not sure it'll work. Wetsuits are hard to guess on. But I'll buy it if I have to. I have a best offer on another one - without arms. The lake has been pretty warm this year, supposedly. I dunno what I am doing.