Sunday, July 20, 2008

My first race...

Last year's Women's Run finish line.

...was great! I got up late (left my phone in the living room...oops!) after dreaming I had missed it and it was 12:15. When I realized it was only 6:30, I took Lois out, got dressed, ate a protein bar, and pedaled fast to get there with only a few minutes to get my timing chip and get in line. It was a HUGE race - who knew? The weather was mild and about 75 when we started, but got really cloudy by the end. Just as I reached for the carnation they give you after the finish, I felt tiny drops of rain, just sprinkling my skin...it was perfect. I walked around getting all the schwaggy giveaways and rode home, took Lois to the park, and now am resting before a trip to the laundromat. Later this evening there's a triathlon meeting/workshop at the running store in Old Town, so that will be a nice bike ride and rev up to get back on the training track.

There were lots of boyfriends/husbands and families cheering runners on, which gave me some pangs of longing, but mainly it was great to do an event like that with a bunch of other women, and for me, and I felt fabulous. I ran well - not fast but steady, with good form, and stopped three times to walk and drop my heart rate to where I wanted it. I could've run harder/faster and not stopped, but I promised my coach I would follow his heart zone training suggestions for it and I did it. Afterward, I feel great and not wiped out, so his way was the right way!

I especially enjoyed (but not in a pervy way!) seeing all the other runners' bodies and running styles. Every woman is so different and beautiful. It was great peoplewatching - and I felt empowered and strong.

Now I have to just get faster, and get my heart in better shape for the triathlon. I want to get to a place where the whole triathlon feels like today did - pushing myself but not dying. I have just over one month to get there. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Churlita said...

Good luck. And good for you for running that race. It sounds like you ran it exactly how you wanted.

Poptart said...

Yeah, it was fun! I might do another one in a couple weeks to try to get my time down...I was very slow. You would probably do it in half the time I did.