Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Food

Tonight, I served food at a soup kitchen on Chicago's far north side. It was so weird and good and fast (course I came late, too - work was horrible...horrible!) and I can't see why I wouldn't do it once a month with my cousin Andy's church group. He was so great to tell me about it and invite me.

I put the bread and the grapes or a banana onto the trays, assembly-line style, and pushed each tray out to the people delivering them to the clients as they came in. There was also meatloaf, chicken, rice, vegetables, salad, and two baked desserts on the tray.

It's the kind of place you don't even think about existing until a few minutes into being there. A soup kitchen. Serving 200+ meals every single day, quietly, out of a delapidated old storefront to all kinds of people, all ages and ways of dressing. And what about the people who work there all the time, too? It's a whole new world.

Here's the sorta good, crudely related news: I myself am eating again! The hellish work day today brought back the old stress-eating patterns and I ate the last 1/4 of a bag of doritos, a salad, a bunch of trail mix, and then a riblet and cottage cheese tonight. I wanted candy, but that'll have to wait.

[I am STILL, unbelievably, thinking about dating guy all too often, like all the time. Will it ever stop?! Jeez. I hope he's happy. I wish I could leave it at that thought, but my mind goes on and on.]

I have struck up conversations with a few lovely new guys on the same site, and, just as luck would have it, dating guy has inactivated his profile on that site, so I can happily browse and no longer have to look at him viewing my profile or just showing up in my home page as a possible match every time I log in.

Exercise: Swam today; still can't find my lock. Will have to search room and car, or, more likley, buy yet another damn $10 lock.

Putting off: cleaning bathroom, returning library books, writing thank you cards, emailing guys back, crocheting.

1 comment:

Churlita said...

It sounds like you at least have options. The big problem with Iowa City, is that there aren't very many man choices. I'm glad you've found some other guys and that will just help you get over Mr. Loserman.