Saturday, May 26, 2007

Hearts and flowers


Here are 2 twilight pictures from my lovely porch garden! I finally finished all the planting today. I also went swimming, took the dogs for 2 long walks (and some short ones), took Sheila on some errands (she doesn't drive) and splurged for the latest Yo La Tengo CD, I am not afraid of you and I will beat your ass, which is about a year old but I never got it. It's SO good. I am only down to a few bands I still like and make an effort to buy and listen to, and YLT is always worth it. I swear, they make my life better.

I haven't had a chance to write about my internet date on Tuesday night - my first from match.com. He is a divorced police officer, cute, balding, blond, and tall. We met at the Starbucks across from my workplace. He was friendly for the most part, but he did this spacing out thing every once in a while, which was disconcerting, especially because he was doing most of the talking (which is a gooooood tactic I learned from that book). The sorta kicker came when I said, fishing for topics:

"So, what kind of music do you like?"

"I dunno. I guess I mostly listen to Q101 in the car. Nothing particular."

"Well, what about at home?"

At this, he went on the tell the story of how, when he got his iPod, he didn't have any music to put in it, so he went to a friend's house, and borrowed his friend's wife's CD collection, which was huge, because she had been a member of the Columbia record and tape club for like 20 years. So that well-chosen bunch of stuff is what's in his iTunes and iPod.

It was then that what I had suspected ever since he contacted me was absolutely certain: I would never be able to hang out with this guy again.

He went on to talk about how he would NEVER let his dog sniff anything while they were on walks, which was a handful of extra nails in the coffin.

When we finally decided to end the torture, about 1-1/2 hours too late, I grabbed my bags - laptop and regular, and he asked:

"Oh, do you have a Mac?"

"Yes! I love it."

"Yeah...all the artsy people have those."

(Awkward pause while I fumble with my bike helmet.)

"Um, OK, nice to meet you! Thanks for the iced tea!"

...at least it was a lovely night for sitting at a sidewalk cafe!

2 comments:

Churlita said...

Too bad it didn't work out. He doesn't seem at all your type, though.

Poptart said...

You can say that again! And it's fine it didn't work out!!...

I'm new to all this dating stuff so I am learning that there have to be these bad ones. I think I was spoiled with DG having such a great 1st date.