Sunday, June 15, 2008

Crest

A sign in the Iowa town where my parents live, along the Mighty Mississippi.

I'm so sad about the Iowa flooding. Makes me think we really don't know what we're doing - we humans - messing with rivers, trying to create riverfront communities for the past 100+ years by containing the waters with engineering and levees...

It's devastating, of course, for all the people who've lost homes, crops and businesses, but I was so especially sad to see Churlita's post and read about the University of Iowa, a truly lovely riverfront campus where I spent 7 years, and most of that time in the buildings that were the first - and worst - flooded. Apparently, also, a significant amount of art was lost from the art building and museum of art, which is a shame. It's just gonna be a different place after this.


Luckily I just read that the Iowa River, above (shown overtaking the art building I knew and loved), crested tonight, a couple days earlier than expected, which means relief - still delayed but at least forseeable - sooner. I'm also glad that the human toll has been kept to a minimum, and I sure hope it stays that way.

Good luck Iowa!

3 comments:

Churlita said...

Thanks Sarah. I'm excited about the early crest too. I hope it means the creek in front of my house won't flood and overtake our house.

Poptart said...

(But you won't have to go back to work earlier, will you?)

Churlita said...

I don't think so. I just checked my emails and I think they want us out of there so they can clean-up and stuff.