Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Early summer rain

Some of the ladies in my triathlon group in between timed drills

Summer's officially here because there is way too much to do each weekend and no time to do it. I even overslept Monday, which caused minor havoc with the 9am class I substitute taught at the far-away location. Friday night I went to the First Friday event at work for a bit, then home for an early evening. Saturday, I had tri practice at 7am where we did some running and time testing with our heart rate monitors. It was fun! Then walked around with Lois, went thrift shopping and swimming at another pool and came out to find this little feller in my bike helmet (glad I looked before putting it on!):


Then the downpours started, and of course I had to ride through them, getting soaked down to my undies. It was like that off and on all afternoon, but didn't totally disrupt Ribfest, my neighborhood's street fest.


The Silos played at Ribfest - my friend S is friends with the main Silo, Walter, and I've seen them a number of times - so I walked the one block over for that. Well worth it.
This guy with the cup on his head danced around for like a whole song, then his friend did pushups ... I love that shit. The Silos are in the background, trying to keep their dignity.

B and S watching the Silos


Scotland Yard Gospel Choir on the South Stage, Sunday.

The next day, after teaching and waiting through another downpour, I went back over to Ribfest to see The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir, my new(ish) favorite band. Their set was GREAT, and the only letdown was the absence of the cup-headed dancer.

That night I went to see the Ms record release show, and that was fun (but of course a flash flood occurred at 1am on my ride home!). When I was leaving the bar, there were some out-of-towners standing/smoking outside, and they kept commenting about me riding my bike instead of driving, at night - they were very interested in my flashing light, etc. As I was riding away and I heard one of the women say, "See, they ride their bikes, even with a dress on - and at night, here!"

(Where were these people visiting from??)

1 comment:

Churlita said...

That's a lot of rain. But it all sounds like fun. I love it that you ride your bike everywhere. You're probably in a million times better shape than those tourists too.